The Bottom Line
- Friendly and accommodating staff
- Great Happy Hour (and Reverse Happy Hour) food and drink specials
- Pleasant atmosphere that manages to serve both bar and restaurant clientele without sacrificing one
- Clean and well-maintained facility
- Intermittent table service
- Close proximity of other tables can detract from intimacy
- Staff eating on the restaurant floor while restaurant is still open
- 5900 Memorial Drive Suite 102
Guide Review - Houston Restaurants - Zushi
Beef and Chicken Robata Skewers from the Hot Menu are delicious. The meats are well-seasoned and the roasted tomatoes are very flavorful. The Bincho Albacore Nigiri is light and very fresh (my favorite). We were also very pleased with the Steamed Edamame, the Baked Mussels, the California Roll, the Deadliest Catch Roll and the Spicy Tuna Maki. The Shrimp Cocktail and Calamari were less impressive.
The door staff was efficient, amiable and accomodating. Excellent job. The table service was friendly, but not a highlight. Our server repeatedly forgot food and menu orders and disappeared from time to time. Also, watching the staff eat in the dining room several hours before closing is not appetizing.
Although not a large restaurant, Zushi succeeds in its desire to provide different atmospheres for different guests. Zushi offers relaxed intimate dining inside or more casual patio seating. The sushi bar offers seats for those who like to watch and there is a nice sized bar area for drinks.
While I do not consider myself to be a sushi aficionado, I was pleased with the freshness, flavors and textures of the fare. The HH Specials are a great value. And the same specials are available at the Reverse HH on Thursday and Saturday night.
Try a visit during a Happy Hour and mix it up a bit. You will definitely find something you like.