Neighborhoods in Houston
By Shea Serrano
- River Oaks and The Galleria
- Profiles of More Houston Neighborhoods
- Walking Tours of Houston Neighborhoods
Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States, and downtown is its epicenter. It has experienced a recent push from investors and developers to help it regain its regal status, and behind nearly $4 billion in renovations, it is well on its way.
- Downtown Houston: The Resurging Epicenter
- Bayou Place: Downtown's Entertainment Center
- Angelika Theater: Downtown's Classy Movie Theater
- RocBar: Downtown's Glitzy Rock Club
- Mosaic: Downtown's DJ Hotspot
- Bayou City Art Festival
- Joystix: Downtown's Arcade for Adults
- The Real Sammie: Downtown's R&B Hangout
Nearly 100-years-old, Montrose, a scant four square miles, is one of the most established, culturally diverse sections of Houston. Among others populations, the LGBT community has a strong presence in Montrose, though it’s hardly an exclusivity.
The Heights is Houston's oldest planned community (circa 1890) It has grown over the years to become one of Houston's most sought after living destinations. Unofficially, The Heights now includes the Woodland Heights, Norhill Heights, Sunset Heights, and surrounding tiny subdivisions that have all grown together into one diverse and funky area.
- Neighborhood Profile - The Heights
- Zushi - Japanese Cuisine
- Plonk! - Neighborhood Bar
- El Rey - Washington's Stellar Mexican and Cuban Taqueria
River Oaks and The Galleria
With a median home value of $1.5 million, this fabled expanse of oak-shaded lawns and jaw-dropping mansions ranks among the most luxurious in Texas, if not the United States. Just across I-610, the Galleria provides the well-to-do a huge, air-conditioned mall that manages to retain the feel of a high-end shopping district.
Profiles of More Houston Neighborhoods
The neighborhoods of Houston and its surround areas offer accomodations for a wide array of lifestyle choices. Peruse these profiles of Houston's neighborhoods to find information about area schools, dining, real estate, shopping and more.
Walking Tours of Houston Neighborhoods
The neighborhoods of Houston and its surrounding areas offer accomodations for a wide array of lifestyle choices. Peruse these virtual tours through various Houston neighborhoods to see what it like to live in them, including information on places to eat, shop, live, and more.