1. Local
Shea  Serrano

Medical Marijuana in Houston - Medical Marijuana in Texas

By October 21, 2009

Earlier this week, the Justic Department issued out a memo that, for all intents and purposes, gave medical marijuana users and their (legal) suppliers a free pass.

At the moment, medical marijuana usage is legal in 14 separate states (none of which†are Texas). When Mr. Bush was in office, his team felt that, despite what state legislations decided, the federal government would not recognize any form of marijuana use as legal.

Obama's camp feels otherwise, saying prosecutors "should not focus federal resources in your states on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana."

It's not likely that marijuana will become legal in Texas anytime soon (which†seems to fuel†the pro-bud folks over at the Drug Policy Forum of Texas plenty). What do you all think? Should it be legalized? If so, why? If no, why not?

Follow Me on Twitter | Find Me on Facebook

Comments

October 21, 2009 at 1:21 am
(1) D says:

At the very least they should de-criminalize it… Too many non-violent offenders are prosecuted every year, wasting millions of dollars and thousands of resources and manpower. Ridiculous.

The doctor can prescribe you worse drugs. Addictive ones. Weed is just a plant.

October 22, 2009 at 1:28 am
(2) John Smith says:

Over 17,000 scientific studies have been done to date. It has become clear that their are many medical uses for this plant. For this reason alone, it should be legal. We Americans have forgotten that our country was founded on principles of freedom and I believe those freedoms should be restored. We know prohibition doesn’t work and the current anti-drug laws are responsible for the creation of a huge black market. Treat it like alcohol with age limits.

October 22, 2009 at 1:55 am
(3) Terry says:

Yes marijuana should be legal and available to adults over the age 21. In Texas especially because it would take a lot of revenue from the Mexican drug cartels, curb the violence, specifically just across our border in Juarez, take it out of our high school parking lots, create jobs,and bring revenue to the state via taxation. Texas would benefit from agriculture to industry and even to technology. Prohibition just isn’t and never has worked.

October 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm
(4) imvho says:

Not right away.

US Federal law categorizes marijuana as a schedule 1 drug, along with other substances of maximal danger such as heroin and LSD. As a controlled substance, marijuana is deemed to have “no redeeming value whatsoever”.

Few would advocate the legal distribution of a substance which is maximally dangerous and has no redeeming value.

On the other hand, studies have shown these opinions to be unjustified. The fact is that marijuana and hemp as well, have many beneficial uses and few drawbacks.

The possibility of legalization will reach critical mass as the levels of ignorance decline. Now that the federal government has recognized the right of states to legalize marijuana for medical use, more and more states will be doing so. As they do, we will be able to observe the results.

When people are able to evaluate the success of medical marijuana dispensaries and the absence of harm to society, the unreasoning fear and anger will decline.

Things just take time.

October 23, 2009 at 12:19 am
(5) roger says:

I think weed should be legal I mean there are plenty of people who die of drinking too much how many people have died from weed? also I have an ADHD disorder and this could help me but instead people want to throw me in jail for tryin to get better!? don’t get me wrong I do beleave that jus getting high all the time is wrong but so is telling a man he can drink himself to death but can’t smoke a little joint

October 23, 2009 at 1:20 am
(6) denverb says:

as a medical marijuana cardholder in Colorado for severe and chronic nausea, I find it absurd that states haven’t come around on this idea yet.

October 24, 2009 at 12:28 pm
(7) B. Parker says:

It has not been legalized because the drug cartels pay too much money to politicians to keep it that way. If it were not for congressmen that would rather accept the money they are offered than to vote the way the majority of their constituents would then it would already be legal.

This latest step will help make medical marijuana legal in more states. Before this it made no sense to legalize something on the state level that would only be overthrown at the federal level.

November 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm
(8) izzy says:

i think it should be legalized like other drugs such as alchol and ciggaretts. we as americans need to stay with same laws in each state and not be confused everytime we enter a new state.BESIDES THE POINT people say weed is a gateway drug that is a lie. PEOPLE GO TO OTHER DRUGS BECAUSE THERE DRUG DEALER LACED IT WIH ANOTHER DRUG TO GET TR CLIENTEL TO COME BACK FOR MORE. THIS IS A VERY GOOD REASON WHY IT SHOULD BE LEGALIZED SO THE ONLY ONE GOING TO LACE IT IS THE GOVERMENT.IF 50 PERCENT OF POPULATION SMOKED WEED. BEFORE THEN WHO IS TO SAY NEXT KID THAT PICKS THE STUFF UP OFF A STREET DRUG DEALER GET IT LACED WITH COKE OR METH IF GOVERMENT COULD SEE BIGGER PICTURE AND NOT HAVE WOOL OVER THER EYES THEN WE WOULDNT BE DISCUSSING THIS COMMENT.IF THER WORRRIED ABOUT TAXES I DONT SEE AMSTERDAM EVER HAVING A PROMBLEM WITH IT.

November 30, 2009 at 6:42 pm
(9) corey says:

I think they should legalize it I smoke an its proly 1 of the best things on earth it makes everything better the GOVERMENT is stupid only if america could be like amsterdam..and another thing if people havnt tried it they should keep their mouths shut they think its a gate way drug and its not most people try crack meth or heroin because curiosity or their around it alot….ganja is a plant not a drug so let’s all roll 1 up and smoke

December 3, 2009 at 6:59 pm
(10) izzy says:

SORRY FORGOT ONE MORE THING IF THEY LEGALIZED IT MEXICAN CARTTEL WONT BE MAKING ANY MONEY OFF OF THE PLANT IF WE ARE SELLING IT NATIONWIDE. ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT THEY WILL PUSH COKE OTHER DRUGS EVEN MORE BUT UPSIDE IS IF YOU GET LOCKED UP FOR THOSE DRUGS THEN ITS BASICALY LIFE BEHIND BARS SO THAT MEANS LESS PEOPLE WANTING TO TRAFFIC THE OTHER DRUGS.ALSO IT WOULD PUT MORE COPS ON THE STREET TO BUST THE HEAVIER STUFF —->{THAT ACTUALLY CAN KILL YOU) AND TAKE THE BIGGER PROBLEMS OFF THER STREET. SORRY TO SAY THIS PEOPLE THAT SMOKE CIGGARETS BUT THAT SHIT GOT TO BE ILLEGAL IT DOES NOTHING FOR YOU AND HERE THEY ARE FINDING MEDICAL REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE OR SMOKE WEED BUT DONT GET ME WRONG ANYTHING YOU INHALE THAT IS SMOKE IS BAD FOR YOU BUT BROWNIES IS GOOD WAY EAT WEED.ALL THAT I KNOW IS GOVERMENT NEED TO WAKE UP. ALSO I HATE DRINKING I HATE CIGGARETS BUT I DONT CARE SOMEONE SMOKES WEED AND IF WAS LEGAL IT WOULD BE ONLY THING I BUY ALCHOL IS SHITY TASTING AND TAKES TO LONG CATCH A BUZZ ALSO HOLY SHIT COMMENSENSE I DIDNT KNOW U CAN DIE OFF ALCHOL HIC -UP LOOSE KIDNEY AND LIVER BUT LETS BE RETARTED AND LEGALIZE IT AND NOT SOMETHING GOOD FOR YOU LIKE (WEED CAN BE USED CANCER,ANXIETY,UNLESS YOUR DOING IT ILLEGAL THEN PARNOIA KICKS IN BUT THATS EVERYTHING YOU DO ILLEGAL HAHAHAH WELL THINK THATS IT FOR NOW HIC-UP

February 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm
(11) Steve says:

I live in Michigan and currently am a holder of a Medical Marijuana card. I suffer from a degenerative neurological disorder and it helps immensely.

I have considered moving to Texas for political and sovereign reasons, but the fact that I would have to go back to relying on doctors and harmful medications does not appeal to me.

This is just a personal issue, but frankly.. the “war on drugs” never ends and causes more problems then the drugs themselves.

February 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm
(12) Kim says:

I wish they would legalize it. I was in a car accident and I live in pain EVERYDAY of my life. My neck and back need a rest! What they prescribe is not touching the pain I feel! No money in the world can fix me for the rest of my life!! At least I could or might live pain free sometimes in my life to have fun with my family and my grandbaby! My life of painfree was taken from me was I was 38. Sometimes I wish I would have died instead of being a burden on my family.

That is what I have to say. My hopes for all the people in daily pain I hope they can help us one day before we are crippled in all areas of our bodies. God Bless All who suffer I feel your pain!

March 6, 2010 at 9:01 am
(13) don't trip says:

I have really terrible chronic insomnia….I’m up for days without it, and I’ve used other things like working out or sleep medicine and it makes me feel like I have no control over my body which is something that I just will never see as something more acceptable than the feeling marijuana produces. I feel that if it is at least de-criminalized 2 of the qualifying condition should be depression and insomnia.

March 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm
(14) Chuck says:

Personally I wish it was legal in texas. I have a condition known as Cavernous angiomas. It causes headaches, seizures, and parenchymal hemorrhages. Very similar to tumors. However the medication I take to control it daily makes me ill. Not to mention the radiation therapy (gamma knife) to control these. I can’t eat for days on end always have constant headaches and love being told that if I get a sever head injury I can die. But marijuana is the only thing that helps marginally with the pain. It’s nice to know our socialist government controls our life to the extent that terminally ill patients suffer and die a slow painful death.

April 5, 2010 at 8:24 pm
(15) silver says:

i have a seizure disorder as aresult i fractured my neck in ’95 since then i have developed cervical degenerative disk disease. i recently had an MRI that showed the vesels an nerves going to my extremeties have dimeneshed capacity. i wake and my hands are asleep somtimes even completely numb. i have trouble walking sometimes. i have been taking pain medication for so long know that it is like taking over the counter tylenol. i have went to chiropractors. i have trouble sleeping all night because of the pain. a good nights sleep for me is just a dream and has been for quit some time now. cat naps are the only thing that keeps me going. maybe medical marijuana could fix that i don’t know but i should have the opertunity to try all avenues of pain relief that would allow me to return to a normal life even if only for a short period of time.

July 25, 2010 at 1:26 am
(16) Jack says:

I believe “marijuana” should be legalized for medical pourposes of pain control.Diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia and I’ve had extensive spine surgeries both back/neck and do “not” understand why “marijuana” is not allowed for pain control but Methadone is ? this just baffels me. It is our body and we are the ones living with severe pain why not give us the option at least.
If it was approved,taxed, prescribed it would cut out the bad associated with it. So many people living with daily chronic pain from injuries, surgeries,cancer, that could truly benefit from medical use of marijuana instead of long term usage of pain killers that ultimatley do damage to our liver,kidneys,heart long term. Walk a mile in my shoes! When you can’t sleep comfortably, can’t do normal daily things without severe pain but still try, struggle to stand and shop for food due to pain, until you live with daily chronic pain and start considering all the pills taken in 1-weeks time you might consider marijuana usage then I bet…. As long as this person is “NOT” using any kind of other drugs or drinking or selling there prescribed marijuana I don’t see the problem with it being approved,taxed. Until one is suffering do they start considering other options for some kind of relief!

August 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(17) We the people says:

Yes! I be”LIE”ve marijuana, recreational/medical, should be legalized, here in Texas or anywhere period! We now know that marijuana has soo many benefits, both medically and commercially. All the propoganda we were “FED” in the early 20′s and 30′s, are now coming out as lies in todays world! Wait a minute, isn’t that known as perjury? If I were to lie in court, wouldn’t I be facing a 5yr. sentence? Exp: They said that marijuana was a gateway drug! I dont know about anyone else, but I started smoking cigarettes first, then drinking alcohol, then everything else. And to myself, personally, I believe it was plain o teenage peer preasure, just to be cool like the rest of them! You know, they did it, so I did it! We as the people need to stand up for our rights and stop the madness!!! Oh yea and by the way, I still smoke pot everyday, stopped cigarettes, been sober for over 10 yrs. now and haven’t done anything else for over 20 yrs. and I feel great!!!

August 23, 2010 at 2:27 am
(18) Dwiz says:

Weed is not a drug in the same sense as heroin, or cocaine… the stigma assoiciated with weed is ridiculous, and tbh, i think it is outrageous that i am not allowed to grow, purchase, or consme a plant because the government says its bad for me, when companies are making millions legally selling me things that r worse for me…
Some laws are outdated… the problem is that too many people are so fixated on the stigma of weed and drugs, that they use bs statistics, and studies that are supported by little to no evidence, in order to justify the law…
Do i think weed should be legal in texas? no… i think it should be legal everywhere! Smoking is a choice, and anyone who can afford to purchase weed should have the RIGHT to make it!
Instead of asking if people think weed should be legal, how about asking why it is illegal? It obviously isnt to keep it away from the kids, cuz highschool kids sell it lol
Its sad, but true…the laws = fail….

September 5, 2010 at 11:07 pm
(19) mike says:

at the very least if decriminalized it would keep the cartels out of texas the stoners could buy legally instead of giving money to the criminals it would go to the state.instead of taking hard working citizens and throwing them in jail and opening up jobs for illegals (tax paying citizens would be able to continue to pay taxes and not overcrowding jails with minor possesion charges)

December 5, 2010 at 5:27 am
(20) KeeptheFedsAway says:

OF COURSE it should be legalized. This is a no-brainer. The anti-pot people have been lying, misrepresenting the facts and minimizing the MANY negative and terrible results of the ridiculous war on drugs for years which has wasted billions and billions of dollars.

It’s time to “Take a bite out of crime” by removing billions of dollars from the drug cartels. by eliminating all controls on Marijuana.

I know people who say the govt. won’t do it because too many people in the govt. make too much money by its being illegal. (I’m inclined to suspect there might be some truth to it — I’ve heard evidence to support the allegations.)

Just think how much more productive the police could be if they stopped wasting time trying to catch people getting high.

Just think how much more money the govt. would have if they let everyone out of jail and prison and quit spending the $20,000+ per person per year to feed and incarcerate them.

Just think how much money the govt. would save by unburdening the court system with drug cases.

Just think how much money organized crime would lose in the US if pot was legalized.

Just think how respect would grow for the authorities if police quit harassing people for issues concerning drugs.

It’s the only reasonable course of action.

December 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(21) Robert says:

I for one belive that Texas should leglize the use of medical marijuana. I also also agree with the person that said that to many non-violent offenders are prosecuted EVERYDAY due to possession charges, wasting tons of there money. Im one person that has a bad pain ALL THE TIME in my right wrist and now have to deal with it everyday due to getting addicting to Vicodin. I went through 5 days of hell and went to the emergency room becuase of Vicodin withdrawl and now refuse to take ANY narcotic pain killers to kill this pain. Yes the pain sucks but its better then having to lose 20 pounds and sleep less and then go through withdrawal from not taking it this stupid drug. After my withdrawal I was prosecuted for possession of marijuana and had to pay a fortune in fines and deal with some stress. Its becuase of laws like this that I believe we lost the title “THE LAND OF THE FREE” along time ago.

January 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm
(22) carol says:

its just the governments big game of risk… they make more money by making it illegal… they want the money, i.e. getting paid off by drug cartels, getting more money by prosecution “stoners”, then, when the government is trillions of dollars in debt… the quick fix is raising the tax dollars of the hard working americans. its a catch 22. so… since i consider myself a hard working american suporting an already proven corupt government, ill smoke weed whenever i want… at least the bigheads can give that much to me since im the one paying for your bently.

January 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm
(23) Primo says:

The reason that marijuana is illegal and considered to be such a dangerous drug is because of the 1930ís government criminalization law. The government saturated media with propaganda that marijuana was this devil weed and would cause marijuana users to do all kinds of horrible ungodly things .
On the other hand alcohol which made the Kennedy family rich and famous has filled prison cells from cost to cost with DUI/DWI offenders, intoxication manslaughter, family and child abuse, murder, robbery, just to name a few. This is a legal/gateway drug that we can buy everywhere over the counter, consume and continue to ruin families and society.
The most habit forming drugs are sugar, caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and these are legal.
I have constant pain in my low back that travels down both legs all the way to my toes. The pain is so severe that I canít sleep at night. This is cause from spinal stenosis, 5 HNPs in my lumbar and 1 in my thoracic. My doctor has me on morphine which doesnít take away all of the pain. So I reverted to smoking marijuana for the pain. My doctor is threatening to dismiss me from his care if I continue to use marijuana. I donít sit around smoking joint after joint 24/7, I may smoke Ĺ to 1 joint as needed. But because I tested positive on the very first piss test ever and was honest about it I was given a warning. The doctor says it is the DEA that is behind their drug testing, I say BS.

The doctor would rather have me strung out on high doses of pain meds (morphine). I would much rather try lower doses of pain meds and alternatives like marijuana. I would rather smoke a little marijuana to help manage my pain and to help me get a little sleep at night. I am not trying to get high; I am trying to get some pain relief and a little sleep. Is this too much to ask for, from somebody that is in chronic pain 24/7??????

February 18, 2011 at 9:05 am
(24) Hector Ramos says:

There is one more mistake the Government do. Marijuana is an adictive drug it does not matter what anybody said. It’s a drug. You may try to legalize cocaine because the same reazons you use for marijuana, and that mean somebody want to make money for that. Marijuana and all adictive drugs those who impell people to fight and kill other people need to be ilegall any time, anywhere.

April 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm
(25) chad says:

legalize it… let police focus on the real criminals

May 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(26) cody says:

I beleive that medical marijuana should be legal in texas.k2 is and i tried it once and felt like i was going to die. Its legal, wow, I was so messed up i thought that i could not move. Ive smoked marijuana before and i was fully functional and felt fine. It helped my pain from working in heavy constuction most of my life. It would be a blessing if it became legal in texas. It would stop most of the bood shed on the border not to mention the economy. I think it would change the state of texas for good. It would be a great step for texas moving forward. I am a very proud to be a texan. I wish everybody that wants it to be legal would speak up do not let the law stand in front of your freedom.

May 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(27) Norma says:

LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! I am in severe back pain had surgery. Surgery was not successful starting with Vicodin my body got immune. Now on prescribe Methadone and sleeping pills. If only marijuana would be legalize I wouldn’t be harming my body with narcotic pain killers. smoke a little weed to relief may pain.

June 16, 2011 at 10:17 am
(28) Gisselle says:

I have Multiple Sclerosis and after hearing what wonderful things medical marijuana has done for people like Montel Williams I’m definitely inclined to think that Houston and Texas as a whole should legalize medical marijuana. I used to be against it like so many others, but good points are made that a lot of supplements and foods are made from plants, so why such stigma against marijuana? I have asthma so I wouldn’t opt to smoke it, nor would I use it to get high. Rather I’d use it to feel less pain and a bit more normal, which should be my right as a human being! I really hope Obama passes something and Texas stops being so backward about it. There are many of us suffering ’cause they choose to stick to the “drug addict” stigma of marijuana. I have never tried it but I’m running out of options. Trying something natural such as marijuana sure seems a lot better than any of the FDA approved meds for MS sufferers right now.

September 6, 2011 at 4:15 am
(29) George says:

Legal:

Marijuana is actually not that unhealthy when compared to Alcohol and Tobacco. If marijuana stays clean [no additives or nicotene introduced], tests have proven that this plant is much safer to vital organs than Tobacco and Alcohol, when used properly of course.

Children of America are buying into other legal substances such as K2 and Bath Salts [yes, bath salts] that could potentially lead to serious health problems. The only reason they would have moved onto this stuff is because these chemicals can pass through drug testing, and of course the fact that they are legal.
Marijuana can be taxed and be used to build roads, pay teachers, and fund MANY educational advantages. The first step to our civilization evolving, is improving the education system. Instead, the profit earned by the Marijuana business [yes, it is a business. More of it is sold here than anyone would want to imagine.] is providing money for cartels to shoot their big guns, and recruit more thugs.

Many drug dealers would be put out of business and terrorists would have to find some other efficient way to make undocumented money [unlikely].

It could possibly relieve us of our heavy gas prices.

It is hurting many young adults’ corporate and educational reputation. Giving them reasons to find a ‘smarter’ more illegal way of finding money.
The money spent on holding criminals punished with victimless crimes would be tremendously reduced.

This could be used to treat MANY psychological deseases.
[I personally believe that the music, art, and overall production industry wouldn't be hurt by legalizing the herb. ;) ]

Could help the seriously depressed and terminally ill including cancer patients, older citizens, lonely people, mentally ill,…but this substance SHOULD SERIOUSLY BE MONITERED CAREFULLY. There exists a wrong pair of hands that this drug could land on.

September 6, 2011 at 4:17 am
(30) George says:

Illegal:

As taken from http://balancedpolitics.org/marijuana_legalization.htm:

Marijuana is often used as a stepping-stone drug, leading to heroin, cocaine, or other harder drugs.

Stoned driving and other dangers would be increased.

Some consider use of the drug as morally wrong.

Legalization would increase the chances of the drug falling into the hands of kids.

Because of drug-related arrests, people who have committed or are likely to commit more serious crimes can be taken off the streets.

Physical damage would be done to users that abuse the drug.

More widespread use would increase the dangers of secondhand smoke-damage to bystanders.

Legalization of marijuana could eventually lead to the legalization of harder drugs or all drugs altogether.

September 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm
(31) anthony says:

medical marijuana should be legalized due to the fact tht it helps people that have :HIV/AIDS, mental disorders, alzheimer’s disease, lung cancer, chronic obstructive disease, breast cancer, and even brain cancer these are some of the medical uses that marijuana is used for. Why let it be legal in some states when in fact every state has all of these potential people that might catch a case of one of the above diseases. YES I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD PUT AN AGE LIMIT TO IT AS TO ALCOHOL. I guarantee you that we have more deaths in the us caused by drunk drivers than people smoking medical marijuana…. MAKE IT LEGAL AND NOTICE THAT ITS GOOD FOR US NOT BAD!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 7:34 am
(32) wb says:

medical marijuana works. Drug companies do not want this because they cannot patent anything that nature provides, so no profits. The government cannot stop it and it is available every where in the US anyways. This is in fact a wonderful drug with a multitude of uses and no side effects like ALL the man made drugs. This issue is really just about money and greed and the american taxpayer is being robbed again.

October 4, 2011 at 9:11 am
(33) labeb says:

how many deaths was caused by marijuana? now ask ur self why is the lowest amount of death by something is weed!!! shit alcohol is the number 1 reason an they still sell it

October 26, 2011 at 9:47 pm
(34) SingleMominTx says:

If you’ve never smoked it, don’t even bother lwaving your absurd comments about how it is anything like cocaine or other “hard” drugs. I have suffered with migraines for YEARS…anxiety and panic attacks. Marijuana is the ONE thing that helps both. It also helps with insomnia. We, who smoke to feel “normal” aren’t sitting around getting “high” or “stoned”. 3 or 4 puffs and my mind is “right” and that terrible anxiety,panic feeling goes away. I have tried every medication under the sun and the one and only thing that has worked is smoking. I pray it becomes legal. FYI – om a responsible “soccer mom type” who you would never suspect as someone who smokes marijuana but I do every single day and if I didn’t have it, life would be absolutely miserable. Until its legal, I will stay in my little closet but don’t think I will stop getting my “medicine”. You don’t hallucinate and “kill people”…so again, unless you know first hand about the benefits, your opinion means nothing. All it does is highlight the complete ignorance of so many in our society. By the way, I am God fearing woman and I believe everything was created for a purpose…sometimes, in order to figure that out, you have to be objective and a little less quick to judge.

November 14, 2011 at 10:10 am
(35) CJ says:

As a regular smoker of course I feel as if marijuana should be legalized for medicinal purposes, and in hopes, completely legal in years to come. I’ve never had any severe drawbacks from smoking (except the occasional coughing spell). I see it as the same situation as prohibition in the 20th century. In my opinion, if legislators knew then what they know now about alcohol, it would be illegal today. A substance which has no medicinal value whatsoever can be sold, bought and consumed on a daily basis, but a PLANT isn’t even allowed to be grown, much less sold, bought or consumed. Politicians know the choice they HAVE to make, but just won’t do it just to prove a point. Granted, you have more power than us, but WE elected YOU. Get on the train and listen to your constituents. And when that glorious day comes, say hi to me. I’ll be the first in line

November 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(36) Rafael says:

There’s no way you should be locking someone away for making your own personal decisions, we should treat it as a medical problem not a crime!

and if pot is illegal why isn’t alcohol??? Alcohol is way more dangerous, and causes way more death and destruction physically and mentally.

-vote Ron Paul 2012

November 26, 2011 at 2:27 am
(37) Mr. Denny says:

Yes we should have medical Marijuana its a god given plant, put here to help mankind. We are spending to much tax payer money on are jails. The drug companyes only fill our bodys whit chemicals which some times gets us sicker.

December 10, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(38) demersias dancy says:

i believe it should be legalized in houston. I have a neurological disease called myasthenis gravis. it causes my muscles to get weak and give out there are some days i can’t even get out of bed cause the pain is so unbearable. Smoking marijuana helps ease the pain.

December 18, 2011 at 11:17 am
(39) John says:

Marijuna should be legal in houston.if you say its a gateway drug well i dont think people would be doing some drug thats illegal. hundreds of thousand of dollars are spent booking low marijuana ”whaky weed” offenders plus we have the best medical research center in the world etc.etc…

December 21, 2011 at 5:22 am
(40) Kelly says:

Weed should be Legal.. what’s the point to waste the money to put people in prison just to know that it’s still HERE.. Being smoked, bought, sold, ect..It’s never going away..

Honestly, I have done more messed up stuff on alcohol then ever have done on weed. Lost a lot of friends, but never from weed. Doesn’t make sense.. to me.

So that’s what I have to say.

December 28, 2011 at 9:21 am
(41) Cojon says:

to Hector Ramos and George (and the others who are having a tough time thinking rationally)

What both of you fail to recognize that that Marijuana is available in Texas already in such quantities and so easily that anyone, were they to make a few simple inquiries could find it. It is available to anyone, and that includes children. The government attempts to control drugs is one of the most costly failures our blind and stupid legislators have ever supported. In all reality, the drug war has failed worse than any other government failure, and has already cost America more than both world wars combined!

Marijuana is an excellent medical drug. Your thinking is like the backwards thinking that for 400 years kept society thinking tomatoes were poisonous. It was the tomato acids in connection with the pewter plate that caused the poison, not the fruit itself.

December 29, 2011 at 11:59 pm
(42) Kiernan says:

I’ve never used it myself, but my friends claim that it helps them.. But Houston is in desperate need of the stuff, people are anally retentive beyond anything I’ve seen anywhere else.. Even medical practitioners here are over the edge.. It can only help..

January 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm
(43) amir a taymoori says:

I turely believe that it would be extremly binificial to fulley legalize marijuana. Not only would it decrese mexican mafia in ouur great state but will genarate a great deal of revanue. Taxation and limitations should be imposed. If we as texans don’t legalize we will only increse the profits of dealers due to supply and demand. Not to mention all the uses of hemp such as roap gas etc. About a 100 years ago all paper was hemp witch is 60 percent celulose and the wood we use today is only 45 percent celulose. Save our state and our forest most be stupid not to do so. Look up dr.grinspoon on u tube and see the real history of weed.

January 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm
(44) Jason says:

I support medical marijuana; we can’t say that complete legalization would be beneficial or not to America overall because it’s impossible to know that for sure. However; either way we need to help regulate the consumption and production of marijuana, because we can all agree that the war on drugs will never come to an end. When it comes to people smoking marijuana there’s one thing that’s for sure, and that is if someone wants to smoke they will smoke legal or illegal. Therefore; the fact that America needs to face is that they can’t change peoples minds, and medical marijuana is a smart and healthy way to keep a watchful eye on the future of marijuana.

February 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(45) diadafaasd says:

satwin download serv u administrator download screenmate download serzexe download satski free download sa mp free download scala software download sdk hammer download scan port download seinfeld download torrent satan software download scythe autominer download scwcd free download secure download cabinet servlet documentation download sctsettingsadm download saw 5avi download salo free download secmansis download scanfont download
sane download
sens download
sansa clip download
seventh heaven download
samsung download cable
sajan free download
sata treiber download

script writing download sathriyan songs download sefp download sdf file download sesam tv download screen download linux scrabble 1048 download sensible soccer download sendsong iphone download sccm trial download
diadafaasddw998811

February 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm
(46) Michael says:

I read most of these comments and they all have a good point, well most do. A lot of people are saying, Amsterdam has the right idea, have you ever been there or just watched movies about the awesome coffee shops? I have and it is a beautiful place but dangerous because of all the drugs and dealers of drugs as well as prostitutes….but the fact that you have a better chance of getting raped and stabbed then finding a Euro on the ground is enough for me to say No to being like Amsterdam.

But back to the original point, Marijuana should be legal for ease of access, taxation and its limitless benefits.

March 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(47) mykee z. says:

I’ve seen so many people lose there homes, families, and respect of others to alcohol and pain killers! Both of which are legal and one that’s Dr prescribed! Wtf! Tx, I thought, was a leader in the fore front for everything American! I’m wrong! To decriminalize would mean the world to many Texans dealing with issues that marijuana helps… “pot heads” are not criminals! Crack heads and Meth heads are! I’ve never met or heard of anyone assaulting, robbing, or killing anyone for a dime sack, let alone a joint! We as Texans need to wake up and join the other 14 states and let it be used as medicine! For our friends and family with cancer, aids, MS, epilepsy, anxiety, etc… wake up TX! And all u non believers, grow up! This life around us would be so much more pleasant and fun if we could enjoy it together!

March 25, 2012 at 3:53 am
(48) bambuchelika says:

Again, I backed up and placed the head of my dick at the entrance to her tight, hairless hole and pushed. Ali exhaled a giggling sigh. she is non-orgasmic except from 9-10 PM. When that did nothing to fill her grasping, starving cunt, she wrapped her legs around his ass and squeezed, trying to force the rest of his cock into her. -> From: Walter -> To: Sara Oh yeah, 4am. Amy continued plunging my cock deep into her mouth as I stroked her hair gently. She explored the nipple, which grew hard under her touch as Amy looked on. Net: Also, do they get to pick with whom they will have sex. As for getting heavy, well that happens. I prepared a history for her to read, a transmittal from the “Sexual Dysfunction Center” and a Physical Examination Form that she would complete while performing her examination.

May 16, 2012 at 3:48 am
(49) Vote yes for cannabis says:

Medical marijuana should be legal in Texas because many of us find relief, sleep, health benefits, overall help w real medical issues and happiness. The govt has been lying for their own agendas. I find strange we can legally obtain a lisence to carry a gun but cant get a medical card here.

May 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(50) Andrea Boggan says:

As Nurse I believe that Marijuana should be Utilized for its many beneficial medicinal properties, only as prescribed by a fully trained physician who has been specially trained in this arena. I have Fibromyalgia, and am on disibilty. I severe body aches,that no narcotic has shown to prove relief, I have taken. (pain specialist clinic). The paralyzing fatigue also associated this disease is unbearable. At no time during my 20 year nursing career did I use this as a drug. I take Lyrica but am still suffering. I smoked some marijuana, and had “sudden” relief from my symptoms, and my mood was improved. I do believe that marijuana should not be legalized to the general public without first consulting a physian and getting medical approval. Marijuana also has its down sides in society, as it has a tranquilizing effect.
My dismay at the the state and federal levels do not have the insight nor the proper information to have an informed decison. Also, a major factor (and I may be wrong on this) but could the possiblity lie in that they can regulate Liquor and received tax money from it to run portions of the affairs of government. Alcohol has to go through a process in order to make it. Marijuana just grows from the ground most anywhere, therefore government cannot regulate it, but declare it illegal. It is my take that if a person is going to self medicate, that the option to use marijuana vs. alcohol, as most people know the desctruction of life that Alcohol causes.

Up from the ground, down from the tree!

June 9, 2012 at 12:47 am
(51) M H says:

It’s just a plant…not a man made “drug”. God made all vegetation & he probably knew that HIS creation, not being as “perfect” would screw up things & would need something to “relax” itself & he made marijuana & put it here for us to discover & use. That’s MY theory & I’m sticking TO it! It DOES help immensley with pain & after having numerous back surgeries *I* can say that’s TRUE! You can’t become addicted to it like you do with MAN MADE drugs…it’s the most natural thing ever!

July 26, 2012 at 8:08 am
(52) Eddie says:

i don’t ask for it to be legalized just decriminalized, plus on the positive side if the government taxed marijuana it would really help out the economy and help paitents that depend on marijuana. Its sad to see that people in texas can own a gun, but not be able to own marijuana for medical reasons. Alcohol and tobacco to legal substances that are harmful can cause cancer and alcohol poisening, while marijuana is proven to slow down cancer and help out with other disabilities. I just hope that the government will open they’re eyes soon and see that marijuana can be a win win situation.

July 31, 2012 at 7:11 am
(53) Mike B says:

I am a pain management patient. I have been receiving opiod painkillers for bulging discs in my lower back for 2 years. About 8 months ago I decided because of the adverse side effects that I could not continue this course. It seems very odd that the state government of Texas would rather me use a drug that can destroy me as a person physically. I now deal with the pain on a daily basis. I have tried alternative medication and it seems to work as well if not better than the pills but I cannot continue this due to our laws. My comment is this. How can anyone expect for me as an adult to respect our state government when it has all the facts neccessary to change a law to benifit someone like myself who clearly has the medical reasons to use this drug. I am educated and a hard worker and a Tax payer. Why is it that my personal freedoms, one of which should be to live pain free are being dictated to me by someone who evidently has never had a day of pain in their lives.

August 22, 2012 at 9:58 am
(54) John Williams says:

Marijuana is a plant. It’s like making the possession of water or rocks illegal. Thats what we do in this country, we make laws against everything.

August 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm
(55) conner hinton says:

Medical Marijuana should definitely at least be a concern in Texas. There are thousands of cancer patients and aids patients that have to move to other states to use medical marijuana because theyre bodys are too weak to absorb the opiates perscribed to them. Marijuana has been proven to relieve pain, give you an appetite, and help you sleep. Theres no reason feds should be locking people up for the use of marijuana, the people are going to do what they want to do regardless of what anyone tells them.

September 28, 2012 at 11:19 am
(56) glen gilbert says:

I have bad arthritis in my hands, and I refuse to ruin my liver and other organs with prescribed medications whose side effects are worse than the actual malady your taking them for. Marijuana helps the pain in my fingers so well. As for being a gateway drug, that is such a copout phrase. people are going to do what they want no matter if they smoke a joint first. In my teen years I was drinking and doing coke long before i smoked a joint. We are the people and we say legalize it. What more motivation does the Govt. need?

October 11, 2012 at 11:01 pm
(57) Can't say name says:

FUCKING LEGALIZE IT U FUCKING HORRIBLE GOVERNMENT IN GOD I TRUST HE MADE IT NOT MAN. PS I am only 15 and I know all the history of weed and suprizingly I know more than the damn government it’s not bad at all. There is a new generation rising and we will legalize it u FUCKING DIRTYBITCHES!!!!

October 16, 2012 at 5:20 am
(58) Halo says:

My pain management doctor went to the state board to talk about getting marijuana legalized for pain purposes. He knows I for one would benefit from it. I dont do it, because I would lose his services if I did. I dont want to do anything illegal and take a chance and get put in jail. But, even my MD thinks I need it, as well as my psychologist. I have fibromyalgia, MS, severe arthritis, and Chronic pain that moves about my body due to the fibromyalgia, some days I cant even bathe without help from my husband. When I was smoking (3-4 hits at a time) I was doing very well and was able to go for hours with little rest. Now, even though I am on morphine, and norco for breakthrough pain, Im still in some pain and wonder when or if marijuana will ever be an option to me and the millions of Texans who would TRULY BENEFIT from it for various reasons from cancer, to insomnia, to severe pain like myself.

November 15, 2012 at 11:04 am
(59) lilj713 says:

weed should be legal or decriminalized because its just a plant that produces a very good feeling its really dumb that its not cause its a plant a tobacco is a plant but it kills countless people everyday (including my grandfather) but weed dont!!!! LEGALIZE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 1, 2012 at 11:18 pm
(60) Shelley M says:

The plant helps with so many things and it is fine with some states and not others! If all states would get on board they could tax it and maybe help the deficit and keep our jails open for the real criminals that are murdering people and doing hard core crime. It just kills me that the people that use it and it works with the aches of the aging body, nausea and so many other things will get arrested in some states and not the others…double standard! Pot is good, and if legal, so many people would come out that are smokers…it would be jaw dropping to see that!

January 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm
(61) Keith says:

Just read the comments….

59/60 said yes

1/60 said no (reasons: weed is an addictive drug that criminals profit from)

Weed has been researched and found to be as about as addictive as caffeine. The gateway theory was debunked over a decade ago. Although tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis are illegal for kids, prohibition makes weed more available to kids. The criminal justice system has turned some of these soft-drug users into hardened criminals. Why? To protect our children? It’s too absurd to be solely based in ignorance. These policies are malicious.

You can’t be conservative and oppose civil liberties of the sick and dying. It’s too Orwellian for me to stomach.

Legalize, Regulate, Tax (if you must)

Educate, Medicate, Legislate, Meditate

Don’t Criminalize, Demonize, Ostracize, and Victimize

March 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm
(62) Xina says:

I think it should be legal as a card carrying member from another state and someone who uses marijuana as a pain relliver because all the other crap that is out there don’t help or makes me into a zombie so I can not function daily and take care of my children wasn’t working so I tried it. Marijuana helps my body to relax and be able to function for myself and my children. I had a state/government worker tell me that marijuana debelitates you just like alcohol does. I was shocked because you don’t hear that someone who smoked went out and killed a family of five by hitting them with there car. Come on people!!!! Marijuana is not a gateway drug it does not hinder your senses like all the other drugs out there it doesn’t make you feel like you need to run around and do something you just relax and people with medical conditions can have some relief and be able to function a half normal life. If the government cannot figure out were to put the money that they get well we are in debt right our schools need money so that way our children can get a better education than what they are getting. Use the money to better our economy and relive some debt that the United states has

March 28, 2013 at 12:19 am
(63) Alexis Johnson says:

Legalize It!!!!!

April 5, 2013 at 7:38 am
(64) timatayo says:

The wod monster{war on drugs monster is on the ropes.. ha ha and im lovinin it after 40 years of having to fear arrest and worse the people who invented tthe wod are finally dying off and being replaced by the people that have been the victims of the wod for as much as 40 years aand we are done. Done feeding the wods voracio<=us appitite for our tax money our freedom our children fathers etc that our goverment continues to back these laws is no less then obcene. Thr wod monstervivhate to admit born in texas

April 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm
(65) allen says:

Yes i do support marijuana laws point blank period. MARIJUANA RECREATION USERS OR HARD WORKING PEOPLE ALSO SO WHEN OFF WORK WE WANT TO RELAX AND CHILL

April 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm
(66) Sheryl Dee Scott says:

I have been prescribed pot instead of Zoloft in an other state and found it to be 98% more effective. Please allow my Dr. here in TX give me a script for what acually works!

Sheryl Dee Scott

May 6, 2013 at 11:34 am
(67) Ezekiel canell says:

I’m 28 years old and I suffer from anxiety and depression and social anxiety. As a kid I was given ridulin and it messed up my life now and can’t be part of society with out feeling nervous and depressed its also made a eating disorder and now can cop anymore . In high school the counselor said that I never had adhd and why I was prescribed this . This is the kind of treatment Texas gives to society they rather give people messed up pills to cope with problems that’s not right . So I think the use of medical marijuana in Houston is a must . Do your research the medical marijuana there is a drastic decrease in suicide for medical marijuana users . Texas needs to get up to speed .

May 6, 2013 at 11:52 am
(68) Ezekiel canell says:

I am 28 and suffer from anxiety and depression.
As a kid the doctor prescribed me Ridulin and it messed up my life as an adult now I have very bad fatigue and feel tired all the time and my nervous are completely shot and can’t be part if society my family is tired of me nit being social. And as I got older my high school diegnosis was that I never had adhd and why I was prescribed this so I think Texas just dose not care for the people and rather give them Xanax , Zoloft , and other man made crap I see what these drus do to people and it makes me sick.But this is the type of treatment Texas gets. So I think Medical Marijuana is a must in Houston Texas we need to get up to speed . Bring this treatment to Texas
I

May 6, 2013 at 11:59 am
(69) Ezekiel canell says:

I think this might be a solution for me just need to get support from Doctors in Texas .

June 7, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(70) hersom says:

All i ca say i cat leave without it i got too many problems..and please people weed is juts a mfkng plant not a drug God put it on this earth for a reason…

June 9, 2013 at 8:34 am
(71) rebecca Darby says:

YES it should be legal.. it grows wild, Alcohol and cigarettes kill millions of people every year,, lots n my family,,I used it befor I had it but now I have cronic pain,If pots gonna be illegal Boose and Cigs Should be Illegal,,, wish I could do sumthin to help let me no.. I am 63 an been usin since the 60s,,,

August 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(72) GRACE says:

Does anyone know of a doctor that is okay with pot smoking.My husband is not able to find a doctor will give him his other medication due to him smoking pot.So does anyone know a doctor in texas that just dont care that you are a pot smoker

December 24, 2013 at 12:04 am
(73) Pat ham says:

I’m a cancer patient currently and I get severe and chronic nausea and living in Houston Texas I am unable to enjoy the medical marijuana benefits and the PLANT when you smoke it, it is a billion times better than my prescribed nausea pill

February 27, 2014 at 12:23 am
(74) jonathan says:

The problem here in texas is that not enough pepole know the benefits or the reality of marijuana. It takes 2/3 on on both houses for a law ro change. So how do we convince those 2/3 on each side. Beacause electing a difrent one is to long of a struggle and who knows if there’s any representatives open to say they support the bill seeing that texas is a major border state and all the drug cartels. But because marijuana is just a fraction of running the goverment pepole stop voteing for the guy that didn’t pass any pot laws because he might be very good to what he does